Diet/exercise/weight loss thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

Gah, I tried putting cotton wool under my ingrowing toenail, but the nail was so weak that it simply split even further down :(

Now I need to decide whether to endure months of possible pain, and possibly more infection, waiting for it to grow and stregthen, or have an op to remove it and end up with a horrendous looking nail and even more pain :(

Either way, powerwalking is going to be out now for a pretty long time *glares viciously at ballooning belly/thighs* :mad:

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

sebastian

Handcuff, I'm glad you think I'm being helpful. And of course, as a dom, you ought to bow to me...

Weight loss is challenging stuff. It plays such a huge role in how we see ourselves both physically and mentally. I struggled with weight loss for 3 decades, feeling very bad about my body and therefore bad about myself. My ex's decision to leave me damn near broke me completely, but one of the good things that emerged from that destruction was that it loosened me up to challenge my old habits and patterns. Once I started changing my relationship to food and exercise (which required changing how I thought about those things) the weight loss was much easier than I expected.

Success in weight loss breeds success: you lose some weight, people start telling you that you've lost weight, and that gives you the confidence to keep losing the weight. Your clothes start fitting better (or maybe fitting too loosely) and that shows you that you're making progress, so you work a little harder. So the critical thing is to make enough mental changes and physical changes that you can get that initial success. You've got to be in this for the long haul. You can't diet or jog for a couple of weeks and then stop. You have to see yourself as committing to proper eating and exercise for the rest of your life. That doesn't mean become a fitness freak. But if you decide that drinking soda is bad for you, you have to mentally become someone who doesn't drink soda. If you're doing 30-40 minutes of cardio 3x a week, it will probably take you 3 months to be able to see real changes when you stand in front of a mirror. So expect that. If you need to see changes sooner, keep a weight loss diary. Record your starting weight, take your measures (chest, belly, waist), and track how much exercise you did. Retake your measurements every 2-3 weeks, and you'll probably see some small changes within the first month (maybe a few pounds lost or an inch off your belly or whatever). But I think the real secret to weight loss is that it requires mental changes as much as physical changes.

Fileboom Premium Account

Free LIFE TIME Fileboom Premium

You're so lucky. I miss my walks :(

I'm so pissed off at those stupid incompetent doctors at the surgery I go to, telling me all manner of different things about my toes, so I never know where I am :mad: And the worse of the two ingrowing toenails doesn't seem to be growing, so I fear I might now need an op to remove it, which I really don't want :(

My ex's mother told me today that I have gained weight since the last time she saw me. She says I look better now, and that I looked unhealthy before :mad: My size doesn't bother me, I don't care what size I am as long as I don't look pregnant and have people cooing over me, asking when I'm due :mad:

Fileboom Premium Account

Surreal

Jeez Sebastian,

I'm so jealous of people that excercise regularly. Since I'm only 18 my bodies been kind. My metabolism burns off everything I eat, or most of it. When I hear someone say they ran a 16k and it felt GOOD, I just want to shudder.
I don't know what's happenede to me... I used to be so atheletic. I lived on a farm and I was outside every day. Now that I have my own place it's harder to motivate myself. I don't NEED to go outside so I don't. Also, I drank 3 energy drinks in one night recently on an 11 hour trip and it really messed me up. I didn't sleep for more than 6 hours over a total of 4 days and I ate one solid meal. I'm still feeling the after effects though it's been a week. Now that I don't have to go to bed at any certain time I find myself staying up later and later, but I worry about my health. I'm not in shape, I know that. I haven't excercised in two years, but as long as I look fit, I'm happy.
My university has a MASSIVE HUGE INSANE fitness center, that's free to use. But I'm afriad to go. I don't mind working out since I look ok, but I know I'll look stupid and out of shape. With a university that has 50k people, who will recognize me? Hmm, I dunno. I'm rambling. I need to get in shape, and eat healthier. Any suggestions for a college student who lives off ramen and taco bell, and WOULD DIE at the mention of a 16k?

Fileboom Premium Account

Darktruth

Any suggestions for a college student who lives off ramen and taco bell, and WOULD DIE at the mention of a 16k?

I'd die at the mention of a 2k run. :p lol.

Long slow jogging (or bike riding in Sebs case) is something I hate. I cant stand running round constantly for more than 5 minutes, I just get so bored. I’m lucky though because I play a sport that requires lots of short sprints throughout the game so I am physically fit.

I have no real advise other than what you’ve already told yourself. There’s a lot of people at University so just go and even if one of your friends does recognise you just explain to them that you’re not as fit as you used to be and in a few months time you’ll be as fit if not fitter than them. :D

Fileboom Premium Account

sebastian

Surreal, start with doing 30-40 minutes on the elliptical machine. It's fairly easy, you won't look like you don't know what you're doing (because it's so simple there's not much to know), and after a semester or so you'll be conditioned to move up to something more strenuous like a treadmill or a bike.

See if your gym has a fitness trainer for cheap. Even if you can't afford one regularly, see if you can get a free consultation or pay for one session and just have the trainer teach you how to use a few pieces of equipment so you can feel confident you're using them properly. If that doesn't work, poke around on the internet for how-to videos or websites that describe the exercises you want to do.

I couldn't have done the 16 k bike ride a year ago. I had to work up to it. Three years ago, I was just walking 3-4 times a week. So do a bike ride or run or swim or whatever and find an amount that's manageable. Every couple of weeks try to go a little bit farther, or go a little faster or harder or do a more challenging course or whatever. Find something you can enjoy, to make those first two months easier. After 2-3 months of regular exercise, you will built a habit and going regularly will be much easier, and eventually your body will start to crave it.

Diet is trickier, at least for me. I can't make huge changes real quickly. So identify one food-related thing you can change. For me the first big change was giving up soda. I didn't make any other changes while I was trying to do that, but after about a month of not drinking soda and knowing that I had kicked that bad habit, I identified something else. Right now I'm trying to be better about breakfasts. I've started making breakfast smoothies using healthy recipes.

Tell yourself you're going to learn to cook one easy dinner meal using fresh ingredients. Force yourself to make that one meal maybe once a week until you feel you've mastered it. Then learn a second recipe, and then a third. Then force yourself to eat two home-cooked meals a week, and so on. Basic cooking is actually fairly easy as long as you start with simple recipes and learn the basic techniques. Basic stir-fries are really easy and, other than the chopping things first, goes really quickly.

Pat yourself on the back every time you do something new or challenging. It's very easy to develop a negative voice that says things like "I'm a lousy cook" or "I can't do that exercise, because I'll look stupid". So get used to saying things like "wow, that meal turned out pretty well, even if I did overcook the meat a bit" or "You should be proud of yourself. You worked out today even though you didn't want to."

Figure out what motivates you. Reward yourself for accomplishing things. If you like shopping, promise yourself that after you work out three times in one week, you can buy yourself a new pair of shoes or that cute blouse or whatever. Then increase the amount you have to do to get another reward. Give yourself a mantra "If I work out enough, I'll lose a dress size." My mantra is "If I work out enough, hot guys will have sex with me." It's shallow, but it works for me.

The most important thing, I think, is to realize that you're not making a short-term change. You're not going on a diet for a month or just exercising until you lose 10 lbs. You're making a permanent life change. You are making yourself into someone who exercises regularly, eats healthily, and enjoys all the physical, social, and emotional benefits of that. Thinking this way helps you realize that healthy living isn't a one-time destination; it's a journey. There is always something new you can try, a slightly more challenging exercise, a bad habit you can work on. But because it's the journey, not the destination that matters, if you slip up and binge or miss your workouts for a week, it doesn't mean you've failed. It's just a small set-back and tomorrow is a new chance for you to work out, eat right, and whatever.

Three years ago I was jealous of people who worked out regularly. Now I am one of those people. You can't imagine how good that feels.

Fileboom Premium Account

Status
Not open for further replies.