Status
Not open for further replies.

Death

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

Why was this thread closed?
http://www.smplace.com/forum/6481-music.html

It was claimed to be too alike this one:
http://www.smplace.com/forum/2015-music-from-the-scene-s-and-m-songs.html

...but in actuality, the two threads are nothing like each other. One is just about BDSM music and that's it, while that new thread was about just any music that one may listen to during a BDSM session. And even if it had been about the same thing, what does it matter? This forum is completely dead and probably could benefit from some duplicates. Furthermore, it makes you uncomfortable posting if your thread might get closed for no particular reason. This might start preventing people from posting new threads and thus keep this forum maybe even more dead than it is right now.

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

subspace

Actually the original thread is a discussion of not only BDSM music specifically but what other types of music individual members enjoy during and outside of scenes, so I have to agree that they really would end up being the same thread after a few posts. IMHO I think directing members to threads that have already been started is a great way to get a feel for the forum and its members. Most of the active members already had the discussion so I for one would not be inclined to post to the new thread as it would be repeating. I would much rather a new member post to the established thread, and in so doing they can get much more information on the topic of thier interest and avoid missing out on previous discussions.

Fileboom Premium Account

Death

Actually the original thread is a discussion of not only BDSM music specifically but what other types of music individual members enjoy during and outside of scenes, so I have to agree that they really would end up being the same thread after a few posts. IMHO I think directing members to threads that have already been started is a great way to get a feel for the forum and its members. Most of the active members already had the discussion so I for one would not be inclined to post to the new thread as it would be repeating. I would much rather a new member post to the established thread, and in so doing they can get much more information on the topic of thier interest and avoid missing out on previous discussions.

Maybe, but the duplicate/"duplicate" that one starts should at least remain open after the old thread has been mentioned. That way, people can comment on posts that already have been made in it, and the person who started the maybe unnecessary thread won't have any reason to feel that they have to do everything "right" on the forum.

Fileboom Premium Account

At the risk of being judged, I thought I might be able to contribute to this discussion. I have to say, as a new person, I do feel like the abrupt and. . . unforgiving . . . thread closing from duplications are intimidating and has kept me from starting new threads. Even though I tried to look through as many older posts as possible, it's often very hard to figure out if what I was interested in discussing was already posted or not. I don't mean to offend anyone, just offering my opinion.

Fileboom Premium Account

subspace

Don't be scared to post! If you have a question big or small ask it! The members will guide you to a thread if it is a question that we have discussed at some length in the fairly recent past. It really is meant to be helpful and to provide new members with as much information as possible. Please dont take offense, think of it as a friend pointing you in the right direction! :)

Fileboom Premium Account

Death

...... Bit harsh.

Well, it's true. One member has already admitted that they have felt like not making new threads because of this. I have always opposed thread closing for the stated reasons... I have always felt that the good of closing a duplicate thread is starkly overshadowed by the risk of upsetting or intimidating people. Some people may even get depressed from such strict manner... and people who suffer from panic attacks get their attacks fuelled by things that may just be a little negative. Getting their thread closed for no good reason would if not even always, but at least most of the times very badly affect their state of mind. Some people are vulnerable at times, some always, and it just isn't worth doing it that way when there isn't even any particularly good reason to keep it that way.

Pointing out that this forum is so "dead" isn't something I did to be harsh, by the way... I did it because it indeed is quite silent, and all forums with little activity need to try to keep their current members to feel like that they want to post. Pretty much every post is very valuable to a small community such as this.

Fileboom Premium Account

I suffer from exactly what you've described, and I was the one who pointed out about the threads being a repeat. What does that tell you?

And I'm not doing it for malicious reasons. As has already been pointed out, by going to the original thread, you get a much better idea of what everyone else on the forum likes, and in the case of newcomers, you get to know them too. Plus, making new threads takes up more space. Maybe it's just being a moderator on another forum that makes me feel that way, but I can't help that.

Fileboom Premium Account

Sparrow69

wow, i close one thread, as you start a tirade. If you must know, it was closed so it didn't get pages deep therefore making the reference of the original thread obsolete. most users do not read posts from the beginning, they use the beloved last post button.

In short not everyone has the time to read every single post in every single thread. by redirecting them to the right place, we make sure to promote an education of where threads are and where they should go. No one should feel afraid of posting threads, if its in the wrong place, we'll move it. If its a duplicate, we'll direct you to the right place and close it.
Did i close it because there was another, yes. Did i do so in a manner conductive to keep this site active, yes. Will it happen again, most likely. Since this site is certainly not dead, as it gets just as much traffic as some other well known sites, with lots of active members, We do things that need to be done.

Fileboom Premium Account

Death

wow, i close one thread, as you start a tirade.

I would hardly call it a "tirade"... rather a concern for what is best for the forum. Another member has already said that she feels what I thought some would.... but whatever I guess...?

And I'm not doing it for malicious reasons.

I never thought that... I didn't mean to give you that impression and I'm sorry if I did.

Fileboom Premium Account

Status
Not open for further replies.